Q: We have replaced the compressor in my husband's Toyota Tacoma 3 times in as many years. What could cause them to keep failing? 2001 Toyota Tacoma

We have replaced the compressor in my husband's Toyota Tacoma 3 times in as many years. What could cause them to keep failing? At first, it seems like a leak. All the grown will leak out. The mechanic has tried everything to find the leak, but no luck then, after a bit the compressor will fail.

Hello - when the AC compressor fails, it can deposit a fairly large amount of metallic debris throughout the AC piping and components. It is VERY difficult, even with chemical flushes, and added filters, to get all the grit out of the system. The result is that the new compressor has to deal with metallic debris, which can quickly trash a new compressor - spreading more junk into the system. Replacing the dryer, metering orifice, or evaporator control valve, and thoroughly flushing the system with appropriate fluids meticulously is the only solution. I recommend an AC compressor replacement by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, and carefully rebuild your AC system.

• We have replaced the compressor in my husband's Toyota Tacoma 3 times in as many years. What could cause them to keep failing? 2001 Toyota Tacoma