Q: water getting into sump

Head removed and skimmed Refitted new gaskets When topping up with water it is going into sump and mixing with oil Is it cracked block or oil cooler

A: It isn't necessarily a cracked head or ...

It isn't necessarily a cracked head or block. There are other places that water can get into the oil. One that is often overlooked is the oil cooler. Many of the VW engines have a "black Box" oil cooler fitted to the oil filter housing, it passes coolant through a matrix around the oil passages as the oil goes into and out of the filter. Of course that only happens when the engine is running. If you are getting coolant in your oil while filling it and the engine is not running, I wonder if you may have installed the wrong head gasket. There are a number of different variations on that head gasket and if someone sold you the wrong one, it may fit, but there might be some coolant passages that don't line up the same. I know it's not good news, but the head has to come back off to check this. If you've had enough of this job, you can contact Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home to check out your car and advise you on what needs to be done.