Q: volkswagon touareg

asked by on March 21, 2018

My car is having trouble starting. It dies instantly, or starts and then shakes, jolts, intermittent between RPMs. I rev the gas to warm it up and then it dies again. So, it sometimes turns over and starts, but instantly dies. One mechanic said the timing chain is being stretched, the other says its an oil leak on the spark plugs. How much for either of those fixes?

Hi Sonia. Thanks for the question tonight. To be honest, both repairs could be rather costly. Replacing a timing chain on a Volkswagen Touareg requires removing several components in order to gain access, while the issue of oil in the spark plug well can be caused by a cracked intake manifold which would require other repairs. Generally speaking, these repairs can exceed $1,000 rather easily. It is also quite possible that both issues exist (a damaged timing chain and oil inside the spark plug galley. I have a general rule of thumb in regards to repairs - if the cost of the repairs is more than half than the total value of your car, it’s best to replace the vehicle and scrap the older car.