Q: vehicle using oil after complete engine overhaul

I have just done a complete engine overhaul on my car. Rings bearing pistons. The engine block was taken to an engineer for reboring. The cylinder head was also skimmed by the engineer. I noticed after the engine overhaul the vehicle still uses about 1lt oil after every 500-600km. Is this normal. The vehicle is non turbo.(2.0 non turbo)

A: Engines that have been completely overhaule...

Engines that have been completely overhauled and rebuilt will burn some oil for the first couple of thousand miles. It is in these first couple of thousand miles that the engine does a lot of breaking in. After an engine overhaul, it is a good idea to change the oil after 500 miles and again after 1000 miles. Doing this will keep the engine clean of any contaminants associated with engine break in.

New vehicle engines go through a break in stage before the engines are ever installed in to a vehicle. When having your engine rebuilt, it is the re-builders responsibility to inform you of proper engine break in for your vehicle. Once an engine breaks in, oil consumption typically slows down dramatically. If you continue to go through oil, I would follow up with your engine builder to determine the cause of your vehicles excessive oil usage.

However, if you want a second opinion on this, contact a certified mechanic who can diagnose your oil issue firsthand.