Q: Truck overheats because coolant is pushed Into overflow tank until cooling system is empty and will not re-enter the motor.

asked by on February 04, 2018

I can drive the truck for about a day total so approximately 50 miles and then all of my coolant which was full from the start is pushed into the overflow and once enough coolant is out of the system it obviously will overheat. Which happens after just a day of driving. My question is. Do I have a blown head gasket? The radiator was cracked and I replaced it a while ago. Replaced thermostat, hoses, radiator cap, flushed coolant 3 times. And made sure my heater core wasn’t plugged. Yet it still has this problem. I’ve read forums that said a bad head gasket can cause the gases to pressurize the system and force coolant into the overflow. I’ve also looked and I have leaking valve cover gaskets but the head gaskets looks like they might be leaking as well. But I’m not sure if it’s just from the oil off of the valve covers.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Overheating, which can be due to may causes of which a leaking head gasket is just one, will potentially cause coolant loss through the radiator cap as the radiator opens as a pressure relief device. Exhaust leaking into the coolant, as one of the many causes of overheating, can be ruled in or out by performing a chemical test for exhaust gases in the coolant. If there no exhaust gas is found in the coolant, then the cause of the overheating has to be diagnosed. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.