Q: Transmission stuck in park

Hi. My car has an automatic transmission and it got stuck. It wouldn't move from the park mode. Restarting the car didn't help. When I tried to shift it to drive, my foot was on a brake. I managed to move it that way before. Is there any way that I could fix this myself? Thank you in advance.

As part of the normal operation of the shifter assembly in most vehicles, pressing the brake pedal down is required. It is possible that your shift lock actuator may have failed, causing your shifter not to move from the park position. This actuator will lock the shifter assembly when the brake pedal is not being pressed down. Some vehicles have a louder shift lock actuator that can be heard when pressing down the brake pedal. If you press the brake pedal down and listen near the shifter assembly and you do not hear a click, the possibility of a faulty shift lock actuator is very good. I would recommend having this issue checked out by a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic that will diagnose and inspect why your car does not shift from park to drive.

3. Transmission stuck in park