Q: Transmission slipping when going uphill

I can feel a little slipping in my transmission when traveling uphill. Otherwise everything works fine. I am not sure if I just need the fluids changed or if a belt in the transmission needs servicing.

A: Hi there. Your hybrid has a continuously va...

Hi there. Your hybrid has a continuously variable transmission (CVT), which uses internal pulleys and a steel belt. The transmission control module (TCM) controls the shift pulley ratio via solenoids, while receiving inputs from various sensors throughout the vehicle. If you are having problems with uphill shift control, the problem could be with the TCM, solenoids or one of the input sensors. Unfortunately, the problem could also be an internal transmission failure. I would have your vehicle's slipping issue inspected by a trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic.