Q: Transmission not shifting gears, engine died out

My car has almost 200,000 miles. While I was driving at about 60 mph, my RPM gauge was at 6, and the engine started to get noisy and I couldn't shift gears. Then there was a knocking sound. When I stopped the car, it died out. The person who looked at the car said I have no oil, which was probably true, as I've had oil leaks for a long time and have been putting one or two quarts of oil each week. I was told that apparently, the transmission wasn't shifting gears and the engine blew up. Is there any way to fix the problem? How serious is this?

A: Hi there. It sounds like the engine is the ...

Hi there. It sounds like the engine is the issue and not the transmission. If the engine was low on oil, then that will cause a serious engine failure. As the engine failing can cause some strange shifting issues as the computer attempts to compensate for what is going on with the engine. It sounds like the engine will need to be replaced with a rebuilt or used engine.