Q: Transmission Fluid Change

I have a 1997 Nissan Altima that has a manual transmission. Am I suppose to change my manual transmission fluid or does that only apply to automatic transmissions?

Manual transmissions usually have a heavy gear oil recommended as does yours, generally a 80W90 or 75W90. For that reason, most manufacturers don’t generally specify a service interval. Having owned numerous manual transmission vehicles, I generally replace the fluid every 3 years regardless of mileage. Changing the fluid with the age and mileage of your vehicle may be a good thing if it has not been done in a long time, or ever. No matter how thick, the fluid level will drop over time as well as get dirty. A simple drain and refill of the gear oil may make your transmission smoother and quieter to operate.