Q: Transmission

My transmission went out in my 01 dodge will a 98 dodge ram work in my 01

It is possible your transmission might need only simple repairs, that are doable while it is installed. To cover that possibility, if you need a diagnostic, please simply set that up via YourMechanic. The transmissions on those two vehicles are NOT interchangeable. If your transmission has failed, they are not difficult, at all, to rebuild. You just have to take your time, be methodical and work EXACTLY according to the instructions and specifications in the repair manual which of course you must have in hand to do a rebuild. Also, note that for many, many transmissions these days, there are upgraded parts kits on the market that enable you to actually improve the function and operation of the transmission. These aftermarket parts kits correct known deficiencies in transmissions that only became apparent once the transmission became widely used in the field. I have used these kits, the results can be spectacular. Consequently, if you rebuild it yourself, and use the upgraded parts (if available for your application), you will actually end up with a better transmission than the one you started with when the car was new. There are small shops that will rebuild transmissions and if you can find one you can possibly get a good job done. I would NOT recommend procuring and installing ANY used (junkyard) transmissions. It is a total waste of time, given the risk, and given the amount of labor involved in removing and replacing a transmission. Your best bet, BY FAR, is obtain a high quality rebuild kit, obtain any upgrades that are on the market, and rebuild what you have. It is NOT recommended to re-use the torque converter. Some certified professionals accessible through YourMechanic might take on a rebuild (subject to availability) but if you are going to try it yourself, feel free to inquire as to parts and rebuild kit vendors. Any other assistance you need, feel free to re-contact us and we will be happy to help you.

3. Transmission