Q: Toyota camry 05 check engine light on and had some trouble starting up. What could it be the issue?

Earlier when driving the car before the check engine light come on, i noticed the car was making a noise when i was driving. I'm not sure if that was engine related. No other light has been on and i haven't had a mechanic look at it yet. Is it safe to drive up to the closest mechanic? Also i was able to get the car running again but the light is still on.

I got this car from someone off craigslist and they told me the car runs fine, and it did up to this point. However i also felt like the car accelerated slower and that it was working hard to get up to 60 on the freeway. Not sure if that is necessary information. I'm not knowledgeable about cars so any help is appreciated greatly!!

YourMechanic is a mobile service so actually you need not drive the car anywhere if you are seeking a diagnostic and thence a repair. The Mechanic can come right to your location and resolve your issue.

With regard to your question about whether the car is safe to drive, so long as the vehicle is not overheating and the check engine light is NOT "flashing", and there are no other outward indications of the engine malfunctioning, it is "generally" safe to drive the car until it is convenient for you to request a check engine light diagnostic. During a check engine light diagnostic, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic would use a code scanner to retrieve the specific diagnostic trouble code(s) from your car’s PCM that have caused the check engine light to illuminate. Using those codes, the appropriate individual vehicle components or sub-systems (often a sensor, circuit, and the like) are then carefully tested, based on specifications set forth in your car’s Factory Service Manual, to pinpoint the cause of the fault or the reason why the check engine light has illuminated. Once the faulty part or component is identified, it is explained to your satisfaction and the mechanic will let you know of the cost to repair. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Toyota camry 05 check engine light on and had some trouble starting up. What could it be the issue?