Q: To shift into drive gear, have to rev engine

In order to get my truck to shift into the Drive gear, I have to rev the engine. The Reverse does not have any trouble. The fluids are normal. Twice, I have had to replace the vacuum modulator and the new modulators are not like the old ones which had a pin in the back of them. What is your advice to get my truck working properly?

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 1982 Ford F-100. The new modulators may be to blame if the parts are not exactly like the original one and made somewhat the same way. This can lead to improper performance. Have the shifting issue inspected firsthand and have the technician ensure there are no vacuum leaks which can cause these issues as well.

3. To shift into drive gear, have to rev engine