Q: Tips for maintaining my Honda after 100,000 miles?

My Honda Accord has over 100k miles. It has run well for years, and I want to keep it that way. What should I do to make sure it continues to run smoothly for another 100k?

A: The best recommendation I can give to any c...

The best recommendation I can give to any car owner is follow the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule. The 100,000-mile service typically includes inspecting and, if necessary, replacing the fluids in your transmission, hydraulic brake system, and cooling system. Engine and cabin air filters, as well as spark plugs, are also inspected and replaced as needed. If your engine uses a timing belt, changing it now will help keep your Honda running well for another 100k. Have YourMechanic do a general inspection for you!

My second recommendation concerns a part that often gets overlooked: the shocks. As the miles creep up on the odometer, the shocks on your wheels, as well as other suspension components, start to wear out. Replacing your shocks will help increase the braking distance, as well as keep your ride smooth and comfortable over the long run.