Q: My oil level is low and I just had my oil changed.

asked by on March 31, 2017

I have no oil on my dipstick but its only been 70 miles since my last oil change. Car seems to be running fine and there are no obvious signs of a leak. What might my problem be. I also just had my transmission rebuilt about a week ago.

Oil level is low Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If that much oil was leaking or being burned in such a short period of time, there would generally be some drivability concern as well like blue smoke, running rough or stalling. It is possible the attendant may have poured in the wrong amount of oil if there are no visible leaks from the top or bottom. The best thing to do in this situation would be to return to the facility you had the service performed and inquire about your problem and have them look over the vehicle to make sure the oil drain plug and oil filter are tight and there are no external leaks. If all checks out well, they top off the oil and this happens again, then the engine is consuming oil and you can visit your local dealer where they can perform an oil consumption test and see where the oil is going. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come to you and look over the vehicle to perform a few checks to offer a more personal diagnosis of your low oil concerns.