The power steering pully on my 2007 Subaru Forester is wo...

Q: The power steering pully on my 2007 Subaru Forester is wobbling.

asked by on October 12, 2017

The Power Steering pully is wobbling. All the belts have been replaced and there doesn't seem to be any wear on them from the wobbly pully. The pully seems to be very secure on the power steering pump, and steering is smooth and effortless. Is this wobbly power steering pully of concern or can I still drive with it for long distances? To replace it, is it possible to replace just the pully (wheel) or do I need to replace the entire pump system? Let me know if you need more info.

Hi Jordan. Thanks for contacting us today. Unfortunately, without physically inspecting the pulley and determining why it’s wobbling - it’s hard to give you the right advice as to what to replace. A pulley can wobble for a few different reasons, ranging from the pulley not being installed correctly, the belt being too loose, or the pulley center hole is worn out or expanded. It’s also possible that the pulley shaft has been worn down. If this is the case, then the pump would need to be replaced. For cost purposes, you might want to start by replacing the pulley and property adjust to see if this resolves your problem.