Q: The car stalled at the traffic light, started from park

My car has gone about 160,000 miles. The car runs fine generally. But the other day, the car stalled while I was stopped at the traffic light. I managed to restart it by putting it in park first. After that, it ran great. What could cause my car to stall?

Hello. There are a few issues that can cause this. If it only stalled while at a stop, then it may be a dirty throttle body or a failing idle control valve. Most of the time the throttle body can be cleaned and it will fix this. If that is not the issue, I would scan the computer for codes to see if anything comes up. If there is nothing stored in the computer either, then I usually test the main relay and the ignition switch. Most of the time on this vehicle it is the main relay. If you are going to fix this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your stalling problem and proceed with the right repairs.