Q: The car cranks and has a gas smell but won't start. Could it be the ignition coil or the distributor?

The truck cranks, has a gas smell but won't start. I have checked the relays and the fuses to make sure it wasn't the fuel pump. I am wondering if it is the ignition coil or distributor. My check engine light had been on for an o2 sensor. The car kind of ran rough before this, but it was only for a week that it ran rough and now this.

Hi there:

If the O2 sensor was never replaced, the no starting issue might be due to that component finally giving up. However, in most cases, when you smell fuel, it’s a pretty obvious sign that the issue is related to ignition. I’d check the distributor cap for any cracks, under the cap to inspect the rotor and also inspect the coil for any frayed wires first. If those items check out OK, contact a professional mechanic to complete an engine is hard to start inspection.

3. The car cranks and has a gas smell but won't start. Could it be the ignition coil or the distributor?