Q: Temperature gauge arrow climbs high, then returns to normal

My car is having a problem with overheating. Temporarily, the temperature gauge arrow increases steadily higher and higher; then it returns back down to normal. It sounds to me like an electrical problem with the thermostat or possibly the gauge. I have already replaced the thermostat and that did help for a while, but then the problem returned with the pattern as before. What should I do to find the solution for this problem?

There is a cooling fan clutch mounted on the radiator, and this device will move air across the radiator to cool the liquid coolant inside. The water pump is responsible for getting the coolant where it needs to go. With a new thermostat, and providing there are no air bubbles in the system, give another look at the fan function and the water pump. On extremely hot days, it is safe to see this kind of action as long as the temperature returns to normal. The cooling system is also affected by the high heat index and may need more time to get things going. If you would like to have this done, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to inspect the overheating problem.

3. Temperature gauge arrow climbs high, then returns to normal