Q: Suzuki sidekick sport 1.8l won"t idle while its cold and has very bad hestitation

My husband has 96 suzuki sidekick sport 1.8. It won't idels when its cold it continues to die until the motor heats up and then idles fine. But as you start to pull out of pull a hill it has very bad hesitation and doesn't want to take gas and then it starts to miss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A: Hi there. It sounds like there could a comb...

Hi there. It sounds like there could a combination of some things happening here; we're always hopeful that it's not an engine mechanical fault. It does sound like the idle air control may be sticking at the warm idle level, however the hesitation leads me to believe that there may be either an airflow meter, map sensor, or vacuum leak fault. Excess air allowed into the intake is not measure and the engine computer is only compensating for what air is being currently measured; this can lead to a lean condition and when the gas pedal is pressed a sudden rush of even more air enters the engine and the air/fuel ration is leaned even further. I would try cleaning the idle air control valve and perform an intensive visual and auditory inspection for a vacuum leak. If none are found, suspect the airflow meter; is the check engine light on? Check the codes and see if it leads you to a lean condition that may be a vacuum leak or airflow meter fault. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car starts and dies inspection.