Q: SUV rear end has roaring, grinding noises

While driving the other day, the rear end of my SUV suddenly had a roaring, very loud, humming noise. Then it turned into a grinding sound. At first, I considered that it was probably the brakes. So the inner and outer brakes and the rotors were replaced, however it made no improvement; the grinding sound still persists. Next, they replaced all four tires and performed full alignment - did not help either. I started researching and found that there have been many other drivers with this make/model who have had problems with the rear-end differential. My main concern is safety for my family and if this problem continues, the rear wheels could lock at any time. This is Very serious, scary, and dangerous. Can you tell me how I can get this fixed so I can safely drive my family in this SUV?

Hello. The way to fix this problem is to replace the rear differential with a new one. You could also have the existing differential rebuilt in order to stop the problem. Another option would be to replace the damaged differential with a used one from the junkyard. Although that is the cheapest option, there is a chance that a used differential will do the same thing as the original differential as this is a common problem. If you decide to get this fixed, let a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the noise you’re hearing to get an accurate suggestion as to what needs to be fixed. Good luck.