Q: Surge of power from motor, brakes may be the cause

Recently I have been having the alarming problem with my 2006 Toyota Corolla of random surges of power while the car is stopped. The car has an automatic transmission and has around 60,000 miles on it. Luckily the brakes are always applied when the car surges and there haven’t been any crashes because of it. I do worry that it could surge forward while the car is in motion.

A: This sounds like a safety issue and it coul...

This sounds like a safety issue and it could be dangerous to drive the vehicle. I would suggest having YourMechanic check your vehicle before driving it. After I researched your complaint, I did find that the NHTSA investigated this issue in September 2014 and closed the case with no reasons for a recall. The issues you are having sounds the same as the recall for the 2007 and up model years are having, but Toyota did not include your 2006 model year in the recall. I cannot speculate why, and my only advice would be to call YourMechanic to do a thorough diagnoses to determine the issue