Q: Strong gas odor after vehicle is shut off

When i shut off my suv and get put i smell gas fumes.it smells for some time after shutting it off

A: Hello there, many different faults can caus...

Hello there, many different faults can cause your 2000 GMC Jimmy to have a gas smell after shutoff. You are able to smell the fuel vapors due to a EVAP leak. The most common would be a loose gas cap, faulty solenoid , charcoal canister, or a gas tank seal. Once the leak gets bad enough the ECU will detect the leak and set a check engine light. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your gas smell and perform any repairs required.