Q: Steering wheel squeaks, horn won't work & airbag light on

Several times, when I back out from a parking space and turn while backing out, my steering wheel starts squeaking and the airbag light comes on. Then my horn won’t work after the airbag light is on. This problem has almost caused several accidents. Also, the cruise control doesn’t work. In addition to those problems, the buttons behind the steering wheel do not work either. In researching I found that the main problem might be the clock screw. Do you think that is the cause or something else?

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2001 Chrysler LHS. The clock spring in the steering column is used to pass the wires from every steering wheel component and air bag on the steering wheel. The clock spring is a wound wire that resembles a clock spring. If you are hearing crunching, the clock spring may be going bad and the Air Bag Light is indicating loss of the air bag. Have the system checked and the clock spring replaced as needed by a qualified mechanic due to the dangers working on the air bags. A certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to go to your home or office to inspect the steering wheel noise, cruise control, and Air Bag Light in order to have the correct repairs done.