Q: Steering wheel jammed, cannot be turned

The steering wheel in my 2009 Nissan Altima with 90,000 miles on it is locked in place. I had to have the car towed to a shop because literally nothing I did would remedy the issue. I asked the tow place when I called if maybe this was something I could work around and they said that it happened often enough that they knew the wheel would stay locked. They were certainly right, and now my car is useless! Is there a way to fix this problem that will make it so this doesn’t happen again? I would hate to be stranded somewhere with no car!

At this point, there is no other known fix for this issue other than steering wheel lock replacement. Nissan has released some service information for repairing technicians that calls out the difference in newly redesigned parts, and it seems that it is being updated. Either way, it is important to have it checked as soon as it acts up, or you run the risk of a call to the tow company.

3. Steering wheel jammed, cannot be turned