Q: Steering locked and I can't start

asked by on February 03, 2016

My car won't start due to the steering being locked.

Steering wheel does not turn car Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

This sometimes happens when the wheels were turned when you turned the car off. The pressure from the tires on the steering wheel make it bind with the locking mechanism in the column. Sometimes applying pressure to one side or the other as you try to turn the key will free it enough to unbind it. If this doesn’t work, a mechanic such as one from YourMechanic might need to inspect your steering wheel. This requires precaution and careful attention to procedures as air bar and steering wheel removal will be required.