Q: Starting issues on my 71 chevelle

I have a 71 chevelle that has been sitting for five years. I drove it from cali to texas and it actually made the journey. Only changed tge tires, oil, oil filter, and air filter. A problem i ran into is that it doesn't start unless i give it gas, and it will shut off if i dont keep giving it gas. On the highway if i try to speed up too quickly it would choke. What should i replace in my car or is it a mechanic worthy issue

It is very possible that the vehicle May simply just need a carburetor cleaning and or adjustment. I would recommend having your carburetor inspected by a qualified professional to determine if it is functioning properly. If the carburetor is dirty or if it is not tuned correctly, this can cause issues like you are experiencing.