Q: Starting issue

My blazer has been running great then all of a sudden it's hard to get it to start long crank time and finally I can get it to start. If I spray starter fluid into the air filter house it starts right up and run for a minute then dies. So would it just be my fuel pump or is there something else to look at?

Hi There, It sounds like you definitely have a fuel supply issue as indicated by the fact that the motor will start up when starting fluid is sprayed in the intake, but then dies. This is a common sign that there is not enough fuel pressure supplied to the motor to keep it running. As you know, when you turn the key to on, the fuel pump is activated and the fuel system is primed with fuel at a specific pressure in order to supply the fuel injectors with enough fuel to start the motor. When this is less than what is needed in order for the motor to fire or in some cases higher than normal, you may notice an erratic fluctuation in engine RPMs, hard starting or a lack of power when accelerating as the engine may be starved for fuel if insufficient fuel pressure exists in the fuel system. This can happen when the pump itself is not working properly or when the fuel pressure regulator is not maintaining the proper fuel pressure in the fuel system causing the engine to starve for fuel. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your fuel system.