Q: Stalling problem when a quarter of a gas tank is left

asked by on July 29, 2016

I have a car with automatic transmission. The problem occurs every time there is about a quarter of gas left in the gas tank. Then, the car starts stalling. It would run however, if I apply the gas pedal longer. There is usually no check engine light. It only comes on while it's stalling. It then soon disappears. I took it to several places including the dealership and I was told that everything is fine. What could be causing this?

Fuel Pump Replacement $120.92 - $1186.72 Get a Quote
Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. It sounds to me as if the fuel pump is straining to pump the fuel when it reaches a low point causing a misfire. I suggest that a diagnostic test is performed on the vehicle with the scan tool. The diagnostic test will also determine the cause of the Check Engine Light and stalling issue. In addition, a fuel pressure test on the vehicle should be conducted when the gas gets below a quarter of a tank to determine if the vehicle gets the proper amount of gasoline at all times.