Q: Spotty / Sputtering Acceleration

asked by on March 05, 2017

My car has been kind of sputtering or stuttering when accelerating. Especially when I put my foot down on the pedal. I notice it more frequently when I accelerate faster and really want to get up and go. It like tries to accelerate quickly but sputters a few times before finally accelerating. It has done this for about 2 months. Any ideas as to what this shaking problem could be that causes my car to not accelerate smoothly and kind of stutter/sputter? I have taken my car to 3 auto part stores to run engine diognostic tests and there are never any misfire codes signifying where the issue might be coming from. I don't know where to start or what needs to be done to fix my car. Any help? Thanks!

At 60 thousand miles, your car should have had a major service that includes inspecting a lot of the parts that may be suspect. Spark plugs, filters, vacuum lines, would normally be checked and the problem might be located then. However, since the car has relatively low mileage I wonder if it is less the fault of your car and more the fault of your fuel. You might have some water contamination in your fuel. It can happen if you fill up at a gas station that has let their tank run low. It’s easy to check for, you hook up a pressure gauge and draw some fuel from the fuel from the system into a clean, dry jar and let it sit for a couple of hours to see if water gathers in the bottom. If you don’t have the time or the inclination to do this yourself, you can contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come out to your home or office to check out your BMW and recommend a fix.