Q: Spilled water on shifter

Water spilled on the shifter, and now it won't move back from drive to reverse or park. I have to turn off the car to park, and the RPMs won't shift normally.

Hello. Spilling water on the shifter could have affected a lot of different things in your car. There are sensors, wires, and connectors under your shifter. It is possible that water could have damaged some or all of these things. First and most importantly, the shifter will need to be replaced. An inspection of all of the other parts that the water may have spilled on should be done while the shifter is being replaced. A certified technician can complete this repair of your shifter as well as advise you of other repairs that may be necessary.