Q: Sometimes my car accelerates very slowly but the RPM rises

When driving, if I accelerate very fast the car will operate normally until the change into 2nd gear. When I try to accelerate it feels normal in first gear but then second gear and beyond is where no matter how far down I push the pedal, the car accelerates very slowly. The RPM increases but the engine accelerates very slowly. This happens 10 percent of the time and is random. I think it could be the MAF sensor. Is it a connection issue or do I need a new sensor?

Hello. I would recommend first checking the connections to the MAF sensor and cleaning it as sometimes they will get dirty and cause this kind of problem. If this does not work you may need to have it replaced. If you would like to have an expert pinpoint the issue, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the acceleration problem and proceed with the proper repair.

3. Sometimes my car accelerates very slowly but the RPM rises