Q: Something is draining the new battery

My dad replaced the alternator then battery in my car, We hooked the car up to a battery charger again, for a couple of days. When I got in the car, initially it drove fine, then, same day, it hesitated to start, but started. Next day It drove for about a block, then would barely accelerate, then died. I had it jumped repeatedly, but car would barely go forward, then it would die. Had it towed home, back on charger. Starting so far, but afraid to drive anywhere. We cant seem to pinpoint why the car wont hold a charge.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. Once the c...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. Once the car’s engine starts, the job of the battery is finished as the alternator takes over the responsibility of powering all components and accessories on the vehicle. In some cases, a new alternator install will forget to replace charging connections to the battery which may cause it to drain quicker than it should. However, you’re also describing issues about having difficulty moving forward; then stalling - which may be an issue with the alternator. To fix this issue, it would be a good idea to contact one of our local mechanics that can inspect the alternator and charging system for any items that may have been missed with the initial alternator replacement.