Q: So had a mechanic work in my vehicle and the threads in the crankshaft was stripped, would i need a new crankshaft or can someone

asked by on July 06, 2017

Just had my vehicle looked at and the mechanic said my threads in my crankshaft was stripped. Would i have to get a new crankshaft? Or can a helicoil be installed? And how much would the dealer charge.

Hi There, Depending on how badly the threads are stripped, they may be repairable with a Heli Coil, however this would have to be evaluated on a case by case basis as this does not wok for all situations and a new crankshaft may be the only way to correct the problem. I would suggest have an independent professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to determine the proper way to repair.