Q: Blue smoke from engine

blue white smoke coming from left of engine (facing forward) maybe from leaking gasket, is it dangerous to drive or can I degrease until I see a mechanic?

Hi There, Blue smoke coming from the exhaust generally means that the motor is burning the engine oil. This can happen for a couple of different reasons such as worn piston rings or leaking valve guide seals. When this happens, the engine oil is burned in the combustion chamber along with the fuel which is what generates the blue smoke coming from the exhaust.

White smoke indicates that you may have an internal engine problem, such as a head gasket leaking coolant into a cylinder. If white smoke is blowing out from the exhaust during first 3 minutes of a cold start up in morning and has a sweet smell, stop driving it immediately. It is likely you have a blown head gasket or a cracked/warped head. Serious engine damage can occur if you continue to drive. Lots of white exhaust smoke on start up is usually a sign of a head gasket problem. If the leak is very small, or leaking into adjacent cylinders, there may not be much smoke upon starting up, and yet still enough coolant may be pulled into the combustion chamber(s) to produce a strong sweetish exhaust smell. Generally, over the long run, this particular problem will continue to produce more engine problems. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to inspect your car’s running condition to determine what may be causing the smoke coming from your exhaust.

3. Blue smoke from engine