Q: Smell of gasoline during driving on a 2003 Vauxhall Corsa

I've got an O3 Vauxhall Corsa. It has a strong smell of petrol when I drive. I keep an eye on the fuel consumption. It seems it's been burning too quickly. Where do I start?

Start by watching my video "does your car smell of gasoline?" That will show you all the steps to do. But, in a nutshell, you’d want to check the gas cap to see if it’s loose or leaking.

You’d want to check for any gasoline leaks. If it is dripping, it is obvious as you can see it. But, on the engine, when they leak, a lot of times, it just evaporates. So, look around the fuel injector, the fuel lines, where all the connectors are, and if one area is really clean. Gasoline is a really good solvent. It will drip and it will evaporate, but it will clean that area and you’ll see that that area is the problem.

If you can’t find anything leaking, the next thing to do is go back to the tail pipes and smell them a little. If you smell gas there, that means that the engine is running poorly and that the unburned gas is coming from the exhaust. Then you need to work on the car, and have a tune up, or have the fuel injectors cleaned or replaced. But make sure you watch my video "does your car smell like gasoline?" That shows every step you need to do to find where the leak is. It’s only a three-minute video so you’ll figure it out pretty fast.

If you still need help with this, you could also have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to diagnose the gasoline smell, find any leaks, and make any needed repairs for you.