Q: Small transponder stuck under navigation panel

My toll road transponder is approximately 4x4x1/2 inches. I had put it on the dashboard in front of the navigation panel, which was closed at the time. I proceeded to back my car out of the driveway. The navigation panel opened on its own and the transponder stuck under the panel. Now, the panel will not open or close all the way. I have not been able to remove the transponder, so I went to the dealership. I consider this a design defect since the navigation panel opens on its own. Anything small will slide right under it and then jam it. Before I pay their hefty price, can you tell me if there is any way that I can get the road transponder out from under the panel and is there a way to prevent this happening again?

A: Hello there, this is a rather rare issue. I...

Hello there, this is a rather rare issue. If the navigation unit has closed on the transponder then it is likely that the navigation unit was shut off for safety reasons when it jammed. The navigation unit assembly may require disassembly to remove the stuck transponder. I know it sounds silly but the only way I could think of to prevent this is to keep any objects away from the navigation unit when it opens and closes.

If you need some help with getting the transponder out, feel free to contact a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic.