Q: Small bump caused rear-end suspension & stabilization bar damage

A small bump scraped the right-front tire, but it did not scrape the exterior of my car. However, I am being told that it caused the entire rear-end suspension and the stabilization bar to need total replacements. It seems strange to me that it could cause such severe damage when it didn’t even scrape the exterior of the car. My car was only moving less than 10 mph while I was crossing an intersection from having been stopped at a red light, when the right-front tire bumped something in the intersection. Plus I was going straight across the intersection. Before I agree to spending so much on repairs/replacements, please explain to me how a small bump in the road could have caused such severe damage.

This sounds interesting. I have not experienced such a situation before. I can’t imagine a small bump causing such damage unless the vehicle crossed over the object with the rear end and possibly bent something. You may want to at least get a second up-close opinion from another mechanic regarding your concerns before moving forward. If you would to have this done, a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, can come to your car’s location to inspect the suspension and give you their take on the situation.

3. Small bump caused rear-end suspension & stabilization bar damage