Q: Service traction control light

Hello! My 2009 Vue has been intermittently notifying me to "Service Traction Control, Reduced Engine Power". In the last 6-8 months this has happened 3 times and when it happens the car seems like it is slamming on the brakes. I recently did the GM 30K service which included standard engine oil change, auto transmission oil change, throttle body and fuel system cleaning and a bunch of checks. I mentioned this warning and they checked the car for any codes and none were found. The car shifts and drives fine (no jerking between gear changes) and otherwise no reduction in power. There are also no leaks.

What could this be? Please advise. Thank you

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. Your car is equi...

Hi, thanks for writing in. Your car is equipped with wheel speed sensors at each of the four wheels which monitor wheel speed while relaying this information constantly to the ABS and traction control system which are controlled by the car's ECU. When the ECU senses an abnormal speed given specific conditions, it engages the ABS or traction control as needed to control the vehicle properly and safely. Occasionally, these sensors can fail or become faulty, working intermittently and sending inaccurate signals to the ECU. When this happens, you may experience the symptoms you have described. The ABS or traction control system may be inadvertently activated by these false or inaccurate signals. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to inspect this service traction control light for you to determine the cause for this.