Q: Sensor under intake manifold

My car has been revving up between 2000 and 2500 rpms. A while back my friend told me about how this was coming from a sensor under the intake manifold. I can't remember what the sensor was called. Can you tell me what the name of it is? Thank you.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in about your ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 1993 Honda Civic del Sol. Your friend was probably referring to a failed MAP sensor. It does reside under the intake manifold and can cause mixture issues resulting in RPM surges. One thing you may want to do is have fault codes read out to ensure there are no other underlying issues. One last thing to check for is vacuum leaks, as unmetered air can also cause mixture issues. If you are having trouble, you may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the tools and expertise to diagnose and repair the RPM surge issue.