Q: replaced pwr steering pump and rack, should the high pressure hose have been replaced too?

I had the dealer replace the power steering pump and rack, why would they have not replaced the high pressure hose connecting the two, which is now leaking days after repair?

A: Hi there. Why didn’t the dealership replace...

Hi there. Why didn’t the dealership replace the high pressure line? It might not have been leaking? It may have been misdiagnosed as the pump leaking? They may have been unsure as to whether or not the hose was leaking if fluid was all over everything? I can’t answer that question; only the dealership can. What I can do is help you prepare for the future, or the present. Was there a diagnostic charge? If so, what were the diagnostic steps taken to determine the failed parts? If there was not diagnostic charge, then all that was performed was visual inspection only. Did you go to the dealer and request that the pump and steering rack be replaced? There are a lot of variables to this equation. What concern did you have that involved the power steering system? Was it noisy, leaking, not working? There is the possibility that the line is not properly installed and is now leaking. Any time we have a concern about our vehicle, a proper diagnosis can be the difference between overspending, repeat repair attempts, or sincere disappointment with the service. I suggest that any time you have a concern have a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a power steering fluid leak inspection.