Q: Replaced my engine. Does the new one need to be adjusted to the higher elevation?

I replaced my engine after I blew my first one. I live in Salt Lake City and the engine I bought came from a wrecking lot in Florida. With my old engine I could pull my boat just fine but this new engine really really struggles. What could be the difference? Do I need to have this second engine adjust for the higher elevation where I live?

Check all of the sensors and make sure that they are plugged in all the way. The computer system with the sensors are designed to adjust themselves as elevation changes. This is why all vehicles today have computers in them with injection systems and not mechanical systems with carburetors. If the system is not adjusting, then the intake pressure sensor needs replaced or cleaned. Make sure that the engine is timed properly. A single tooth off on the timing will cause the engine to have a loss of power as well. To check this, remove all spark plugs and disable the ignition system. Hook up a compression tester gauge and check all 6 cylinders. If your cylinders are between 70 and 130, then there is a problem with the timing or the engine was not built correctly. There should be between 150 and 230 on the compression. Most vehicles have about 180 to 195 on compression when driven on lots of miles. If you need further assistance with your engine having a loss of power, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Replaced my engine. Does the new one need to be adjusted to the higher elevation?