Q: Red lighting bolt came on while driving loss of performance now cant start car ive tried bout everything to start car etc throttle

asked by on November 28, 2017

Red lighting bolt came on while driving ive tried the turn ignition to on position press gas nd release till hear ding the red lighting bolt goes off check engine light blinks for few seconds but won't start I disconnected battery reconnect it doesn't start I put in neutral doesn't start I pulled fuse 11 for 15sec doesn't start please help

The warning light refers to the electronic throttle control system. An advanced scanner would reveal some diagnostic clues, if any codes were stored. With regard to this model, reported fixes have included replacing the thermostat (the thermostat is electrically "linked" to the throttle control), cleaning or replacement of the throttle body, replacement, or updating, of the ECM, replacement or repair of the engine wiring harness (due to damage) and a fault in one of the two APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) circuits. These possibilities have to be gone through methodically and that requires the factory service manual.

Prior to requesting service you can try to reset the system using the following steps: 1) Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" position but do not start the engine; 2) Wait for all the warning lights to go out. The check engine light may remain on; 3) Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor; 4) Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it is all the way back up at the rest position; 5) Turn the ignition key to "OFF" position; 6) Start the engine and test the throttle to see if the engine speed will throttle up. This procedure is typically applicable any time the battery is disconnected or replaced but may still be relevant in your case. If there are any codes in the computer that relate to the gas pedal position sensor, that could cause the lightning bolt warning light to appear as well. If the above procedure does not resolve the issue, please request service and the responding certified mechanic will get your car operational for sure. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.