Q: Rebuilding transmission on a '94 Nissan Sentra

I have a 1994 Nissan Sentra limited edition, 106,000 miles. The car has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. It runs great but recently, the transmission started hard shifitng from first to second. Do you think it's worth it to rebuild the transmission?

If it doesn’t burn much oil, runs good, and is not a rust bucket like up North where everything is rust, then sure why not. My advice is that you are often better buying a remanufactured transmission factory remade and having a good mechanic install it. Then you aren’t trying to rebuild it because a lot of guys that rebuild it aren’t that successful. But the factory rebuilt ones generally come with a one or two-year warranty and they are generally pretty bullet proof. Since you’ve got a good warranty like that, I would advise people to put a factory remanufactured transmissions in them if they want to do that. And if the vehicle is in good shape, why not? It doesn’t have that many miles on it.

3. Rebuilding transmission on a '94 Nissan Sentra