Q: Rear end feels unstable.

When I drive over a bump in the road, my car starts to "fishtail" a little. I've also noticed a clunking sound when I begin to move and turn from a stopped position. There is significant wear on the insides of both rear tires, and I notice a slight pull to either the left or the right sometimes while driving.

Loose or worn suspension components can make the car feel unstable. Worn shocks or struts can make the car feel "bouncy" or unstable over bumps. If the struts/shocks are worn badly, chances their upper mounts may also be bad, causing a clunking sound as well as the bouncy feeling. Also, worn bushings can make the car feel like it is wandering or pulling. Work control arm bushings or cradle bushings will allow suspension components to move around excessively, effecting alignment and tracking. All of these can also cause tire wear.

A certified technician can inspect the vehicle and determine the cause, or causes, of the bouncy,unstable ride

Hi there:

Sometimes this issue can be a symptom of bad or failing lateral links. When the lateral link goes bad or wears out, it can cause the rear end to be loose, impact steering, and in some cases, create a very unsafe driving situation. To be certain that the lateral links on your Stratus are what’s causing this problem you’re experiencing, have a mobile mechanic complete a car is vibrating or shaking inspection first; as it could be a different rear end suspension component that is faulty.