Q: Radiator fan scrapes against shroud, car won't idle.

My engine fan is scraping against the shroud, making a god-awful noise. However about a mile afterwards, the fan stopped turning. After I got home, I tried starting the truck the next day and now will not idle, but the fan tries turning again. It turns over just fine, and it'll start if I give it some gas, but after that it dies immediately. The shroud of the fan is not dented or unaligned. I video taped the engine while reving to see if it would jump around, but it's very still. The torque converter had been going out just a couple weeks before this happened. The engine is the original with all of the 315k miles on it.

Hi there. The cooling fan could be coming apart hitting the shroud or the shaft could be bent. The stalling of the engine could be caused by the computer shutting off the engine due to a vibration that the knock sensor could pick up from the fan blade. If you need further assistance with you fan hitting the shroud, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.