Q: Oil Contamination - Head Gaskets

Hey, so I saw videos that if there is white stuff on the oil cap it means it is a head gasket leak? Is there any other reasons why the white stuff can happen on the oil cap? Also how to prevent that from happening? In my odyssey there is no a lot of white stuff but if you take a cloth and wipe it, it will go away. What should I do from preventing to form a lot of white stuff? Thanks

Change Oil and Filter $92.33 - $165.78 Get a Quote

The milky appearance under the oil fill cap is usually due to condensation (water vapor) mixing with the engine oil. If the car is driven primarily on short trips, condensation can collect in the engine and cause that effect. If you drive primarily on short trips, you might consider changing the engine oil more frequently. If you suspect a head gasket leak, see this instructional video on how to test for leaks. If you want to schedule an oil/filter change, performed by a certified Mechanic dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine oil/filter change and the responding mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.