Q: Push starter making scratchy sound and starts after 2 tries.

Today, my car wouldn't start on the first try, took two tries and it made a scratchy sound before it started. It started 5 times after that. Is the starter going out?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. This sounds like...

Hi, thanks for writing in. This sounds like a different starter issue. A lot times when you have this situation, the starter has a bad spot in it and when it gets to that bad spot it is hard to start, or won't start at all. Once the stater moves pass that bad spot the car starts but this will continue to happen and eventually the starter will not work at all. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.