Q: Push button start doesn’t work, how can just this button break?

The button you push to start my 2008 Toyota Prius was one of my favorite features of this car. Now it’s a problem because the button only works when you are turning the engine on. Turning it off with the button is a whole ordeal of pushing a button over and over again until it finally shuts off. Not a fun problem. Is the button itself broken or is it the electronics in the car that are to blame? Car has 96,000 miles on it.

After looking into your issue of the car not shutting off via the push button, I have found a couple possible causes. First, verify the transmission indicator displays that it is in park. If it intermittently does not go to park upon you shifting into park, then the transmission selector range switch may need to be replaced. If the display in the center dashboard has an issue where it randomly cuts off, it may not communicate to the ignition push button that the vehicle is in park. Toyota has listened to customers, and has issued a customer satisfaction warranty extension for the combination meter (9 years/no mileage limit). The reference number is T-CP-ZTV-A110-D dated 9/30/2013. All you have to do is go to your local dealer and have them replace and reprogram the new module.

After looking into your issue of the car not shutting off by the push button, I have found a couple possible causes. The first thing is to verify the transmission indicator says it is in park, and if it intermittently does not go to park when you move it to park then the transmission selector range switch may need to be replaced. You cannot shut off the car if it is in gear. The display for the center dashboard has an issue where it randomly cuts off or does not come on at all. This may also not communicate to the ignition push button that the vehicle is in park. Toyota has listened to customers, and has issued a customer satisfaction warranty extension for the combination meter to 9 years with no mileage limit. The reference number is T-CP-ZTV-A110-D dated 9/30/2013. All you have to do is go to your local dealer and have them replace and reprogram the new module.