Q: Problems accelerating, check engine light on, possibly bad catalytic converter? You

My truck is having problems accelerating properly and has a bit of a rough engine idle. My check engine light is on. Took it to a autoshop and replaced o2 sensors, spark plugs, wires to the spark plugs, checked and cleaned mass air flow sensor, checked vacuum pressure. I am still coming up with a misfire on 4 cylinders on only the driver side of the engine. The auto place is telling me it could be a clogged catalytic converter on the drivers side(since there are 2 converters that come into a y). What would be your opinion? Does his sound like a clogged cat to you?

Hi there:

It’s very difficult to tell you for certain that a bad catalytic converter is causing this, since we’re not there to inspect the vehicle personally; however, it is a distinct possibility. The catalytic converter is a metal canister that is installed in the exhaust system. It is filled with a chemical catalyst, usually a platinum and palladium mixture, and helps to convert the vehicle’s emissions into non-harmful gasses. Usually a faulty catalytic converter will produce a few symptoms that can alert the driver that service may be required, which you’ve listed above. The best thing to do is have a professional mobile mechanic start with completing a check engine light inspection so they can pinpoint the source of those error codes and determine if the catalytic converter needs to be replaced.

3. Problems accelerating, check engine light on, possibly bad catalytic converter? You