Q: Problems accelerating, check engine light on, possibly bad catalytic converter? You

My truck is having problems accelerating properly and has a bit of a rough engine idle. My check engine light is on. Took it to a autoshop and replaced o2 sensors, spark plugs, wires to the spark plugs, checked and cleaned mass air flow sensor, checked vacuum pressure. I am still coming up with a misfire on 4 cylinders on only the driver side of the engine. The auto place is telling me it could be a clogged catalytic converter on the drivers side(since there are 2 converters that come into a y). What would be your opinion? Does his sound like a clogged cat to you?

A: Hi there: It's very difficult to tell ...

Hi there:

It's very difficult to tell you for certain that a bad catalytic converter is causing this, since we're not there to inspect the vehicle personally; however, it is a distinct possibility. The catalytic converter is a metal canister that is installed in the exhaust system. It is filled with a chemical catalyst, usually a platinum and palladium mixture, and helps to convert the vehicle’s emissions into non-harmful gasses. Usually a faulty catalytic converter will produce a few symptoms that can alert the driver that service may be required, which you've listed above. The best thing to do is have a professional mobile mechanic start with completing a check engine light inspection so they can pinpoint the source of those error codes and determine if the catalytic converter needs to be replaced.