Q: Can a P0108 code be caused by oil leaking onto the ignition wires 1998 Pontiac Bonneville

asked by on April 10, 2017

Ok I just replaced fuel pump and the car has been setting but before I parked it a battery exploded and got on the ignition wires. Now I have it running engine is in good shape good compression EXC. The light didn't come on imediatly. But it seems some what random did fix a couple of vacuum leaks and am able to clear the code for an amount of driving and time but it comes back on . So can leaking ignition wires cause this code if there is sufficient energy arcing to map sensor.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. To answer your question, no, oil on the ignition wires will not typically cause this. The code you are getting if for a faulty MAP sensor. This sensor fails and causes this code to appear. It can also be caused by a vacuum leak as this sensor measures the amount of vacuum in the engine. It needs to be tested with a scan tool to see how it is reading. You may want to get some help diagnosing this, like from YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the check engine light is on] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/check-engine-light-is-on-inspection